Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Accra At Last!

At about 1900 local time on Tuesday we landed! I was so happy to finally be in Ghana. I would be seeing Philip in less that an hour. K & M had arranged for Evans to pick me up from the airport because they were still in the North. I knew the procedure. Get off the plane quickly so you will be on the first bus to the terminal and walk quickly so you will not have to wait long at Immigration. I'm just blowing through like a local! First one to Immigration, get my luggage cart and claim a prime spot by the luggage belt. And Wait. And wait. I'm seeing bags go by 2 times, 3 times. Finally after about 45 minutes the siren goes off. This tells me there are no more bags coming.

Actually, I half expected this. How could they have managed to get my bags here with me? It would have been impossible. They were already on the flight headed to New York. I convince myself they will be in on the Thursday flight and walk over to the lost bag counter to get a claim number. By the time I get outside, poor Evans has been waiting nearly 2 hours. Sorry Evans! Thanks for waiting.

He immediatly brought me to Beacon House. Romana met me outside and brought me in to where the kids were watching a movie. Mom Shelter and Vivian saw me first and got up to hug me. Philip then turned around and saw me. He jumped up and flew up on to me arms and legs wrapped around me! Finally! This is why I have travelled for 4 days!

We settle in and I meet some new kiddos that weren't here last year. Romana and I went through a few things, paperwork issues and such. We chatted until pretty late. I opened my hand luggage to see what I had. My night clothes, an extra t-shirt and my toiletries. That should get me. I have a shower, put on my night clothes and go to bed. Finally in Ghana.

1 Comments:

At May 12, 2008 at 11:04 AM , Anonymous Canadian Bird said...

Oh Tanya... I'm so sorry you had such an awful time getting there, but that reaction from Phillip must have been worth EVERYTHING!
I have to leave for work now, but I'll read more later!!!
Blessings!
xoxo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home