Monday, May 5, 2008

The first leg...

Well the trip started with a bang. Trey and I had decided that we needed to leave the house at 4am to be at the airport for my 0525 flight. He startled me awake at 0401! I was ready in less than 16 minutes and we were out the door! This, however, was a premonition of how my next 4 days were to unravel.

The storm was in the distance on the drive to the airport, but once I got checked in and to the terminal it was right over Corpus Christi. We were grounded due to the lightening for an hour and a half. My layover in Houston was only 2 hours. Sheesh! Now I have missed the only flight into JFK New York that will get me in before 4pm. The International flight to Ghana only flies every other day. The poor lady at the Delta desk in Houston had a very frazzled traveler on her hands. She worked very hard for me but there was no way around the fact I would spend the next 48 hours in a Houston hotel with all of my luggage...

I got the courage to go to the Marriott within the Houston airport. I was nervous because I just knew it would cost a fortune and I would be forced to get a taxi with my four 50# bags. I put all of my bags on an airport cart and went to the lower level where I could catch the airtram to the hotel. Naturally, the airtram didn't allow these carts on board. I waited for an empty car and pushed my cart on board as if the rules only applied to "satisfied travellers". I, of course, was definately NOT satisfied at this point. I'm pretty sure the look on my face kept anyone from questioning me or my actions.

At the Marriott counter I explained to the lady that I unexpectedly needed a room. She asked what airline had delayed me, she checked a list and gave me a rate that was so reasonable I nearly cried. I would not have to take my bags out into the world, I would not have to be fearful in a Houston motel, I would be safe and clean and secure right in the airport! Yahoo! The silver lining in my otherwise rain soaked day.

I felt a bit like Tom Hanks in the movie "The Terminal". I wandered around the airport. Saw people from all over the world, heard every language you can think of. I realized though that you cannot shop or eat at all those places you see in airports cause I was not permitted through security without a boarding pass. My boarding pass was for Monday. It was only Saturday. My hotel room had a coffee pot so I ran hot water through it and managed to eat the instant oatmeal and ramen noodles I had packed. I did eat in the hotel restauraunt once each day. It wasn't completely unreasonable. I paid around $12 for each meal. Probably better thnt the prices within the airport. I watched plenty of TV. Got caught up on some old movies. Jennifer Lopez really kicked some butt in "Enough".

Anyway, I should have taken some photos of the Hotel or the airport or something to mark my time in Marriott IAH. But I didn't. Sorry. More to come...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home