Sunday, November 8, 2009

Secret v. Tell the World

Initially only 3 people knew of my plans to be banded. I just didn't want to deal with everyone else's opinions. You know what the say about opinions...just like other things, everyone has one.

I had already done my research. I had done my soul search. I know my body and my addiction. I didn't need anyone to give me their 2 cents.

I like to consider myself the fattest weight loss expert on the planet. If there is a book, I have it. A diet, I've done it. A pill, gimmick, tool, tip, potion, lotion, bracelet, program, rub-on, spray-on, special shoe or whatever...I've done it. I even BOUGHT a franchised ladies only fitness center! Can any of you say that? I owned a stinkin' GYM people!

I know the scientific and medical facts of metabolism and nutrition. I'm a nurse. I know the number of calories in almost every food. I know the specific details of Adkins vs. SouthBeach vs. The Zone. I know and have relationships with Jenny and Nutri-Systems. I have joined Weight Watchers at least 20 times. Have the T-Shirt, the mug, the scales and the keychain!

I don't believe you can give me ONE weight loss fact that I haven't already heard and pondered over. I CAN tell all of you well intentioned family and friends a few things that YOU don't know. I have a FOOD ADDICTION! I am a drug addict when it comes to food. If you have seen Intervention or Hoarders you might begin to understand this situation. It is a pit of despair. I ate before functions so I wouldn't look like a pig. I hid food from my kids so I could have the last ________. I could and would eat 4 (FOUR) packages of instant oatmeal at a sitting. I could and would eat an entire Medium cheese pizza for a meal. I was eating as much or more than my husband or my 13 year old son at any given meal.

My family ate over $1600 a month in fast food in any given month. Wow. Sinful and Unhealthy. So I got a little off-course here.

My point is this: What am I hiding from? Why would I not tell people? Because of fear of failure? Because I don't want people to know I'm not perfect? Because I don't want people to think I took the easy way out? Because I don't want to be judged or talked about? Hmmm....all of these things are gonna happen whether I tell or don't. A co-worker of mine was blabbing her mouth about me having Bariatric Surgery before I even DECIDED to have surgery. Rumors are like wildfire. People will draw their own conclusions and say what they want. They will talk and judge no matter what. I decided I don't give two cares over what anyone thinks or says.

And that's it. Read on or move on, either way it's okay with me.

3 Comments:

At November 8, 2009 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Kristen Reyna said...

Tanya,
You are so brave! Congratulations on making a decision and going for it. This is something YOU wanted to do for yourself and I think it's fabulous! Not that it matters what anyone else thinks. Here's to a healthy, happy you!
Love,
Kristen (Cox) Reyna

 
At November 8, 2009 at 7:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tanya......You just described our entire family.
Remember there was one member who could devour a 3# bag of peanut m&m's while describing and explaining her delicate stomach and digestive system. Together we can ban those slap can biscuits.
Love you all.......Dad

 
At November 8, 2009 at 7:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im very proud of you for making this decision. As I read your History I see myself feeling the same way as you did. I had Gastric Bypass in July 2008 weighed 289 and now im 184. My mom was always against and would tell me to do weight watchers, like you been there done that. If people ask me I just tell them the truth and say so what if I cheated or took the easy way out I feel so much better. If you ever have any questions (i had the band before the bypass) I will be glad to answer anything. I learned all the tricks to not getting sick. My number is 361 816-5402. Good luck your on the right track. Kim Dirksen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home